Statement In Defense of the Tubes Hill
January 13, 2005
The government of the Republic of Hungary declared, on November 23rd, 2005, that it plans to build a long-range radar station on the top of Tubes Hill which lies within the official jurisdiction of the city of Pécs, in Baranya County, in southwestern Hungary. The Tubes is less than 4 kilometers from the city-center of Pécs, as well as several major housing projects. In addition, it is only several hundred meters from the closest populated areas of the city. This is deeply disturbing for the citzens of Pécs, regardless of their political views or orientation. The content of the government statement, its categorical tone, and its unexpectedness are unacceptable to many of those living in Pécs.
The Civil Movement For The Mecsek (the name for the hills and mountains around Pécs), was started by citizens of Pécs, independent of their personal political or ideological views, for the protection of the Tűbes Mountain, the living hills of the Mecsek, and in the interest of a liveable community in Pécs. The first meeting took place on the first of December, 2005, and has since attracted many members. We have organized numerous forums, from which, with acknowledgement of our responsibility to those living in Pécs and in the surrounding communities, we have composed our position in 12 points:
1. We do not wish to live in danger because of a military object. We do not want our city and its citizens to become military targets.
2. We do not wish to live within a powerful electromagnetic field, the long-term physiological effects of which are unknown.
3. We do not want a military structure in the protected park area of our city, which is a favorite area for hiking, walking, picnicing, etc., and represents the fresh-air „lungs“ of the city.
4. We do not wish the panorama of the Mecsek hills above our city to be scarred by a huge cement mushroom.
5. We do not want the property values of the apartments, houses, vineyards, orchards and other land in the city of Pécs and the surrounding settlements to decrease.
6. We do not wish to become pawns in a political game which takes for nothing the principles of democratic society.
7. The Mecsek have stood here for millions of years, the architectural and cultural environment of Pécs is thousands of years old. The planned radar base only serves short-term interests and its value is lost within several years. It is easy to destroy, but to restore an original condition is nearly impossible.
8. We wish to live in safety and in peace.
9. We want a liveable and healthy environment for the people of Pécs, for ourselves, for our children, and for the generations to come.
10. We want an environment in which the mountaintops are covered with plants and not cement. We wish to maintain a community for the people living here and for all the citizens of Hungary, which is deserving of the titles of „World Heritage Site“(UNESCO), „Capital of European Culture“(EU, in 2010), „Cities for Peace“(UNESCO, 1998), the Hungarian „Eco-city, Eco-region Program“, and which contributes richly to the tourism and traditions of the region.
11. We wish to decide for ourselves in our own individual lives, the life of our city, and of our environment. We wish to work with the politicians-at-large, as long as the realization of the positions important to the local people is ensured. We wish to live in a city of solidarity, a european city, which shapes its future responsibly, and works according to democratic principles.
12. We desire a civilized, democratic, cultured city, a living Mecsek, and a region which is economically and culturally bountiful.
Civilek a Mecsekért Mozgalom (Civil Movement For The Mecsek)